Central Library of Semmelweis University was founded by Zsigmond Schordann in 1828. Among the library's doctor-presidents was Ignác Semmelweis. Its collection initially had been gathered by gifts and bequests, which today are valued treasures of the library.
in 1884, the library has moved to the university's main building, to Üllői út 26.
The library opened its doors to public in 1945.
In 2009, after moving out from the main buliding, the library was moved to its current place at Mikszáth tér 5.
Central Library's collection is approximately 260 000 volumes, with over 5000 journal titles (online and paper).
Function of the Library
Mission statement: "The mission of Central Library is to support education, research and healing work of Semmelweis University and to provide special literature of proper quality and quantity for the university staff, students and other professionals. Comprehensive collection, processing and provding of literature in a fast, precise, up to date and cost-effective manner by expert cooperation from the librarians. The library and its services belong to the essential functions of the university."
In accordance with the university's triple function – education, research and healing – its also the library's task to train the users on use of the databases and manage interlibrary loaning.
Central Library of Semmelweis University is a research library with national function. It's the methodolical centre of the university's library network of 2 faculties, 32 departments and one department-group.
The methodological supervision involves the following activities: ordering foreign books and periodicals (online and paper) for the departmental libraries, performing technical supervision, providing feedback and guidance for the heads of departments about the libraries, organizing courses, training the new librarians, teaching how to use the new databases. Our goal for the nearest future is to have all departmental libraries' bibliographical records submitted into the common integrated library system.
The total holdings of departmental libraries: 250 000 volumes. Number of the current periodicals: 484 titles.